Duddingston Conservation Society
The boundary of the Conservation Area contains Duddingston House and the entire grounds of Duddingston Golf Club, from east of the war memorial to where the edge of the grounds meet Duddingston Road West. The boundary runs along the cycle/ footpath (the former ‘Innocent Railway’ line) to the disused railway tunnel, near St. Leonard’s, north- east to Windy Gowl, crosses Old Church Lane to Queen’s Drive, then runs north incorporating two fields to the north of Duddingston. The boundary then shifts directly south and passes behind the gardens of houses on Meadowfield Drive, following the boundary wall, to meet the original line at Duddingston Road West, slightly east of the war memorial.
– Extract from Duddingston Village Character Appraisal 2002
Established in 1959, the Conservation Society was set up to:
- To stimulate public interest in and care for the beauty, history and character of Duddingston Conservation Area and its surroundings.
- To promote access to and understanding of the environment, both natural and man-made, of Duddingston Conservation Area and its surroundings.
- To encourage the preservation, development and improvement of feature of general public amenity or historic interest.
- To encourage high standards of architecture and planning in Duddingston Conservation Area and its surroundings.
- To pursue these ends by educational activities such as meetings, exhibitions, lectures, publications, conferences and publicity and the promotions of schemes of a charitable nature.
With over 180 photographs, detailed mapping and concise, readable text, this short book reveals the human secrets of a part of Edinburgh known to few.